Monday, February 16, 2009

Something over 3000km

I left not long ago from the Castle Hill area or so it seems. However, its been several weeks in reality. Since then I've made my way all the way to the South and back up to Dunedin. After I came roaring out of the mountains of Arthur's Pass I headed into the center of the South Island for the great lakes and Mt Cook. What I can tell you I remember most about the area is beautiful roads with miles of wild flowers on either side and the great peak of Mt Cook reflecting off the most vibrant turquoise lake water in the world, felt like I was in a Monet. The area was so powerful as well. Normally a bicycle is ridden perpendicular to the road surface; however, I seemed to have to ride it at 45 degrees because of the winds that screamed across the plains from the mountains.
Finally I made my way to Mt. Cook and found myself on a private ridge around the back side surrounded by four or five glaciers and listening to the mountain crumble as the glaciers gouged away.

Wanaka was next on the way where I stopped for some much needed R&R. I spent a few days walking around the lake and rock climbing before Queenstown and some more serious endeavors. At 134meters the Nevis Bungy is the highest in New Zealand. I'm not sure how I brought myself to so calmly jump off the edge, but that's were the calm ended and the thrilling screams started. Easily one of the most exciting moments of my life.







I set out to hike one of the most beautiful hikes in the world the next day. The Routeburn has grassy fields, tropical jungles that turn to alpine forests and then rocky peaks sprinkled with frigged emerald green lakes. Viewing at the top is unequaled because you can see everything, even the white crescent shapes of waves from the Tasman Sea miles away.











Milford is indescribable. Really one of those places that is so mysterious that you don't feel like you are awake. Kayaking is defiantly the best way to see and touch this place. The water falls are also quite refreshing if you can kayak up under them while they try to blow you away.

Stewart Island is a quiet muddy little island where you'd swear belongs in the Caribbean if it were a little warmer. Three days of hiking gave me my first cold of the trip. Doesn't sound so great but it was very nice.
Last Morning of riding, the Catlins.

Now I'm in Dunedin and planing to go the Northern Peninsula for some sun and warm water.

I'm Thankful for the friends and family I have and the love they give me.
Hasta
Kel

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kelly! Beautiful photos! It's terrific to read about what you're encountering.

Any itinerary plans? How long will you be in the country?

--Trav--

Unknown said...

like an antelope leaping nibmle as an elf your quads shimmering in the crisp mountain sun
sexy bitch man
amor

Chelsea-B-Jolly said...

Kelly!
It looks amazing! You are such an inspiring and courageous adventurer especially to being doing it solo!
I commend you and live vicariously through your photos!

The northwest is missing you and you are mentioned often.

Take care.

-chels